On the call of Samyukt Kisan Morcha (SKM), farmers, supported by workers, students, youth, women and ordinary people, held mega foot-marches and rallies yesterday.
Protest gatherings were held at 25 state capitals, more than 300 district headquarters and numerous tehsil headquarters. Altogether, it is estimated that more than 3000 protests were held all over India. More than 5 million people came out on the streets to join the ‘Raj Bhawan Chalo’ or ‘March to Raj Bhawan’ call of SKM, to register their protest against the anti-farmer BJP-led Union Govt and send Memorandum of Demand of Farmers to the President of India through State Governors, to intervene and stop the anti-farmer activity of the ruling party at the Centre.
Massive Gatherings all over India
Massive gathering of lakhs of people were witnessed at Chandigarh, Lucknow, Patna, Kolkata, Trivandrum, Chennai Hyderabad, Bhopal, Jaipur and many other state capitals.
In a massive show of collective strength more than 5 million farmers came out on the streets of India yesterday. Farmers had a list of demands
The demands include-
1) Legally Guaranteed Minimum Support Price (MSP) at C2+50% for all produce for all farmers
2) Freedom from Indebtedness through a comprehensive Loan Waiver scheme
3) Withdrawal of Electricity Amendment Bill 2022
4) Dismissal and Legal Action against Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Ajay Mishra Teni, who is accused in the Lakhimpur Kheri massacre of farmers and a journalist
5) Comprehensive and Effective Crop Insurance Scheme to speedily compensate farmers for crop loss due to natural calamities
6) Farmers Pension of Rs 5,000 per month to all marginal, small and medium scale farmers and agricultural workers
7) Withdrawal of all False Cases registered against Farmers during the Farmers’ Movement
8) Payment of Compensation to families of all farmers who were martyred during Farmers’ Movement, along with the major local demands of the respective states.
26th November- Constitution Day
It may be recalled that the date 26th November is also Constitution Day, when our Constitution was signed and later on became the foundation of laws of the land. It was also on 26th November in 2020 that SKM had launched the historic “Delhi Chalo” movement, which became the world’s longest and largest farmers movement, and led to the astounding victory of farmers against the corporate-political nexus to oust farmers from their land and livelihood. The nationwide “March to Raj Bhawans” on 26th November marks the beginning of the next phase of the farmers protest.
In Bangalore there was a protest meet and book release on farmers rebellion from samyuktha Karnataka. A photo exhibit on yearlong massive farmers struggle by Karnataka janashakthi was also put on display.
Massive turn out of thousands in protest foot March and rally in Kolkata with people from all walks of life joining it.
Massive protests in Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Chattisgarh and Chennai.
SKM congratulates all farmers, farm labourers, workers, students, youth, women and other concerned citizens for the grand success of the ‘Raj Bhawan Chalo’ program and appeals to all across the country to prepare for and join continuous and committed nationwide struggles till all the demands are met.
Media Cell, Samyukta Kisan Morcha