Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) civic workers protested in front of the BBMP office in Bengaluru today. Workers protesting under the banner of BBMP Civic Workers Union, an organ of AICCTU submitted the following demands to the BBMP commissioner.
- Guarantee the employment benefits given to the regularised workers.
- Increase the minimum wages from Rs.14,000 to Rs.30,000.
- Pensions for every worker who has completed their service.
- Workers who die while working should be provided with Dearness allowance and compensation.
- Fresh food, clean drinking water, toilets, clean resting rooms, safety guards be given to the workers.
- Free housing for workers.
- Regularise all the workers employed by the BBMP.
- Drivers and helpers must also be paid directly and they must be regularised.
- Every worker should be allowed to take religious and public holidays. Maternity leave also must be allowed.
The BBMP civic workers have been consistently fighting for respect and rights. The workers had been protesting against the then existing contractual system, the sexual harassment, harassment by the supervisors. Workers also had organised a large protest demanding regularisation of their employment and an increase in the minimum wage. The result of this consistent fight was the de-contractualisation of their employment and an increase in the minimum wage.
Government of Karnataka assured the workers that all of them would be regularised. However the government seemingly under the pressure of the contractors, decided to employ drivers, helpers and solid waste processors under the contractual system of employment and regularised only the sweepers.