In the midst of the pandemic and while the country was under lockdown, the government passed three ordinances relating to the Agriculture sector. The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Ordinance, 2020, The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Ordinance, 2020, and The Essential Commodities (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020.
Farmers and Government have been up in arms since then. Continuous protests and Rasta Roko are happening all across the country. But the government does not seem to bother about the “AnnaData ” of this country.
Major farmer federations with over 500 constituent organizations, including the entire working group and state chapter representatives of All India Kisan Sangharsh Coordination Committee (AIKSCC) and the federations led by farmer leaders Balbir Singh Rajewal and Gurnam Singh Chanduni have given a call for All India road blockade to protest against the farm bills. The meeting also resulted in the following historic decisions:
1. There shall be coordination of farmer federations to spearhead the fight against the 3 Farm Acts 2020 and Electricity Bill 2020. This shall be led by the newly launched Program Coordination Body.
2. There shall be a Committee of the Coordination Body which shall include VM Singh, Balbir Singh Rajewal, Gurnam Singh, Raju Shetty and Yogendra Yadav. The Committee shall take coordinate the initial two programs accounced.
3. An All India Road Blockade shall be organized on 5th November 2020.
4. A “Delhi Chalo” protest shall be held on 26-27th November 2020.
5. The demand shall be focussed on the withdrawal of recently passed 3 Farm Acts and Electricity Bill 2020.
6. The protests will include huge state-wise/region-wise build-up of mass mobilizations and movements focusing on these demands.
7. All over India farmers will protest before govt offices including central govt offices and offices of BJP leaders and their allies as well corporates.
8. The meeting condemned the Central Govt’s. decision to stop the operation of goods trains to Punjab unless passenger trains start plying – this is blackmail of the people and farmers of Punjab and is most unbecoming of a democratic govt.